We all know how important the resume is within any job search, but it can be easy to get the basics wrong.
To help ensure your resume is ticking all the boxes, here are my top 10 tips to get you started.
1. Include your details - Name, phone number, and email. Seems obvious but these details can be forgotten! Don't include your date of birth, home address, marital status or photo.
2. Always add a short professional profile section that outlines your experience and offering. Think of this as a sales pitch and make it count!
3. List all relevant work experience in chronological order, most recent first, and briefly outline your responsibilities plus add achievements for each role.
4. Highlight your strengths by adding a Key skills section in your resume.
5. Remember to add additional relevant information including education, short courses, and any volunteering, professional memberships etc.
6. As resumes are often read by "Application Tracking Software", don't use graphics, text boxes or other design elements that can make it harder to read.
7. To allow the user to find relevant information quickly, remember to use easy to find headlines such as "Education and Training" or "Work Experience".
8. Make your resume visually appealing by using an easy to read font, a bit of colour to make your resume stand out, bullet points, and white spacing in desired places.
9. Make sure the resume is error free, and keep it to 2 to 3 pages, no more than 4.
10. And most importantly, your resume should be a true representation of you, your skills and the value you add, but always tailored to the role you are applying for.
If you're looking for help with your resume or job search, drop us a message.